St. Mary’s of the Rock Catholic Church, St. Mary’s, celebrated its 175th anniversary Aug. 25 with a morning Mass co-celebrated by Father Carl Langenderfer and Father Humbert Moster.
Included in the celebration were tidbits from the first homily ever given in the original brick church.
After the Mass, everyone gathered at the old school house for a fried chicken meal with all the fixings. Then the adults enjoyed live music by the Schwegman Band and St. Mary’s Tavern Band, while the children had contests to see who could spit a watermelon seed the farthest and who could eat a pudding pie the fastest.
In 1844, the St. Mary’s of the Rock property was purchased and a log structure was built in what is now the front middle of the cemetery. By 1860 the parish had grown to constitute building a new and a much larger brick structure. In 1906 a terrible fire destroyed the church leaving only the sturdy brick walls standing. Many of the people who attended the commemorative Mass have relatives dating back to the men and women who established the church, some going as far back as fifth and sixth generations.
To find out more about the history of the church, commemorative books are being sold. Pre-orders are $35 and can be ordered by contacting Laura Huber at 812-212-5581 or visiting http://www.LauraHuber.com/ and clicking on the “Contact” tab. They should be available for pickup at the Oct. 13 St. Mary’s Turkey Festival in the country store. A limited amount of books will be available for $40 that day.