United Way of Franklin County officials are proud to support the Southeast Indiana Health Center which provides valuable health services to the community. It opened its doors June 4, 2013, at 374 Northside Drive, Suite F, Batesville, according to Kathy O’Bryan, United Way public relations chairperson.
The mission of this agency is to provide for the health and wellness needs of the medically uninsured residents of Franklin and Ripley counties. Services are offered to residents who meet the financial criteria of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.
The SEIHC will treat and care for patients with dignity and respect, regardless of race or religion and strive to provide all patients with quality medical care through a professional and caring team. Currently, there are 12 volunteer doctors, three nurse practitioners, one physician assistant, 28 nurses and 26 clerical volunteers. Over 300 patients have been registered.
The center follows the Volunteers in Medicine model. In order to qualify for services, persons must
• Live in Franklin or Ripley County;
• Not have any health care coverage or insurance;
• Meet the financial criteria of the current Federal Poverty Level; and
• Be in good standing with the SEIHC.
To those who qualify for care, the center offers these services for both the pediatric and adult patients:
• Primary and preventive care;
• Acute care (bacterial infections, respiratory, urinary and gastrointestinal conditions, rashes, simple injuries and wound care);
• Chronic care and management (diabetes, hypertension, asthma, COPD);
• Mental health (depression management);
• Women’s health (PAPs, pregnancy testing);
• Sexually transmitted disease;
• Lab services with onsite CLIA waived testing (finger stick glucose, strep, urine, influenza);
• Health education and counseling;
• Referral to specialists; and
• Limited pharmacy services (excluding narcotics and controlled substances).
A $5 donation is requested, but not required.
Paul Tyrer is the SEIHC manager. Board members include Geralyn Litzinger, Dr. Steve Glaser, Bev Metze, Pete Mack, Linda Tuttle, Pastor Roger Dean, Dr. Mark Lindenmeyer, Bev Schwier and Brad Mehlon.
For more information about the health center or for volunteer opportunities, persons can visit www.seihc.org or call 932-4515. Tax deductible donations may be sent to Ripley County Community Foundation, 4 South Park Ave., Suite 210, Batesville, IN 47006. Please note SEIHC in the memo line.