Batesville Herald Tribune, Batesville, Indiana

December 24, 2013

Low-interest loans available to grain producers


The Batesville Herald-Tribune

---- — The Farm Service Agency offers low-interest loans to grain producers to build new or upgrade existing storage facilities and permanent drying and handling equipment, reports Julia Wickard, United States Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency state executive director.

Loan opportunities include, but are not limited to

• New conventional-type cribs or bins, oxygen-limiting and other upright silo-type structures and flat-type storage structures designed for whole grain storage;

• Perforated floors, safety equipment, quality improvement equipment, electrical equipment and concrete components considered essential for a fully functional storage facility; and

• Remodeling existing storage facilities to increase storage capacity.

Farm storage facility loans must be approved prior to site preparation, equipment purchase or construction and must be secured by a promissory note and security agreement. The new maximum principal loan amount is $500,000. Participants are required to provide a down payment of 15 percent, with Commodity Credit Corp. providing a loan for the remaining 85 percent of the net cost of the eligible storage facility and permanent drying and handling equipment.

Additional security is required for poured-cement open-bunker silos, renewable biomass facilities, cold storage facilities, hay barns and for all loans exceeding $50,000. New loan terms of seven, 10 or 12 years are available depending on the amount of the loan. Interest rates for each term rate may be different and are based on the rate which CCC borrows from the Treasury Department.

For more information, persons can contact their local FSA office or visit www.fsa.usda.gov.