Batesville Herald Tribune, Batesville, Indiana

August 27, 2013

Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected in off-road incident


The Batesville Herald-Tribune

---- — Ripley County Communications received a 911 call Aug. 24 at 6:10 p.m. from the residence of 364 W. County Road 925 N., Napoleon, advising there had been a possible carbon monoxide poisoning while “off-roading” in a jeep, according to a Ripley County Sheriff’s Office news release.

First responders arrived at 6:21 p.m. to find a jeep driven by David Mullikin, 36, Napoleon, partially submerged in a pond with the exhaust under water, only allowing the exhaust to rise into the passenger compartment, which had all the windows rolled up. The jeep contained five males, two of whom were juveniles.

Two of the occupants were transported to Margaret Mary Health. Their current condition is unknown. The other three refused care, the e-mail report said.

Mullikin advised they had been riding trails most of the day, and had been driving in and out of the pond.  He stated, "It happened so fast, there was nothing we could do; we were just thankful a friend, Ian Meyer, was in the vehicle behind us and noticed something was wrong while he was taking a picture of us being stuck. He ran to us, helping us out to the bank, trying to get us to wake up and stay awake.”

Meyer, an Osgood resident, “is commended for his quick action, as his response removed the occupants from a far worse outcome,” the release said.

“It is important to note that while off-roading like this, the exhaust system of a vehicle can become clogged or blocked and not allow for the proper emission of exhaust, which can cause serious harm or fatal injury to the occupants. Please use caution in this type of activity.”

RCSO is investigating the incident and didn’t find that alcohol or any other illegal behavior  were factors in the incident.  Deputies were assisted at the scene by Napoleon first responders and firefighters; Medic 17 and 18; Batesville EMS 10; and Rescue 69, Versailles.