• The Prell-Bland American Legion Post 271 ladies’ auxiliary will hold its annual chicken and roast beef dinner July 4 from 4:30 p.m. on at the Fraternal Order of Eagles, 104 W. Pearl St. The cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children. Carryouts are available. Secretary-treasurer Sally Wilhelm says, “This is a smoke-free environment and kids are welcome.” The Eureka Band will perform from 6-7 p.m., then the Crums will organize karaoke from 8-11. Dinner proceeds go to the auxiliary’s programs for children and veterans.
• The Eureka Band will perform a free, patriotic one-hour concert at the Liberty Park bandstand Friday, July 5, at 8 p.m. Listeners may want to bring chairs or blankets.
• Canoefest is centered on the Whitewater River and Brookville Town Park June 28-39. On Friday, booths and chicken dinners start at 5 p.m. followed by the 6:30 p.m. classic car caravan, 7 p.m. princess crowning, 8 p.m. Canoefest Idol prelims and 10 p.m. Ryan Broshear concert. On Saturday, the biathlon starts at 8 a.m., followed by 8:30 a.m. championship and recreational canoe races, 4 p.m. Great Chicken Fry-Off, 5:30 p.m. Canoefest Idol finals, 7 p.m. Claypool Block, 9:30 p.m. Penny and the Loafers and 10:15 p.m. fireworks. Info: www.brookvillecanoefest.com.
• In Milan, the Lions Club parade begins on Independence Day at 10 a.m. on Main Street, then patriots can enjoy snow cones, inflatable activities and booths at the park. Holiday eating experiences are impressive: July 3, 4-6 p.m., Milan Baptist Church ice cream social; July 4, 7 a.m., United Methodist Men’s Breakfast; 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Milan Volunteer Fire Department chicken dinner; noon-9 p.m., Milan Veterans of Foreign Wars steak dinner. Fireworks are slated for dusk July 5.
• The nonprofit Whitewater Valley Railroad operates a Civil War train at noon July 4 from Connersville to Metamora (with a two-hour layover) and back again. “Be in the middle of the action as a Union Army detachment protects the U.S. government payroll while along the line a relentless group of Confederate soldiers ... plan and wait,” reports the Web site www.whitewatervalleyrr.org/. Round-trip fares are $22 for adults and $14 for kids. Info: 765-825-2054.