Of the 49 retail food establishments that Franklin County Health Department sanitarian David Fehlinger inspected by surprise in the third quarter, 15 had critical (the most serious) findings, 15 exhibited noncritical problems and 19 were perfect, with no violations spotted.
The places with critical issues must correct them either immediately or within a short period. One business had three. On Sept. 23, Gerber Good Start four packs and Gerber Good Start 12-ounce soy products had use-by dates of July 10 and Sept. 16, respectively, but were still on shelves at IGA, Brookville. The store also had cracked handles on two slicers, plus seven noncritical violations.
Two C items were found at One Stop Marathon, Laurel – off-the-bone ham was past its disposal date and mouse droppings in the storage area. Pests also were critical problems at The Cat & The Fiddle at The Thorpe House, Metamora (mice evidence in kitchen), and Pavey's One Stop, Laurel (house flies and fruit flies in food prep and soda dispenser areas).
Mold in ice machines gave C's to McDonald's and Subway, Batesville; The Brau Haus, Oldenburg; Aromas Cafe & Deli, and The Goldfinch, Brookville.
A salad prep station at 49 degrees instead of the mandated 41 was a critical problem at Wendy's, Batesville. The Kessing Haus Cafe, Oldenburg, and Snappy Tomato Pizza, Brookville, were faulted for not having certified food handlers.
Three more serious issues: no hand wash sink at Maw & Paw's Kettle, Laurel; a refrigerator's temperature was 50 degrees, not 41 or less at The Laurel Hotel; and the walk-in freezer ceiling was flaking and peeling at The Pioneer Bar & Restaurant, Brookville.
These reports, which must be filed at the Indiana Department of Health, can show improvement. During an April 29 inspection, China Wok, Batesville, had seven critical violations and 17 noncritical ones, the most of any in the county. When Fehlinger next visited the restaurant Aug. 7, he found just four noncritical items: food must be covered in food grade plastic bags or wrap, not Kroger or Dollar General bags; rice, flour, salt and MSG were not stored in airtight containers; moldy walk-in cooler door; and back screen door has holes in screen.