Just before Mike Baumer left his position as Batesville parks commissioner, he applied for a Rising Sun Regional Foundation grant. At their March 26 quarterly meeting, directors decided to award the requested $15,000 to the Batesville Parks and Recreation Board toward the purchase of items to help address safety issues at The Plex, the city’s relatively new baseball/softball complex, according to executive director Jascia Redwine.
Thirteen other grants totalling $226,418 will be distributed, including five more in Ripley County:
• $30,000 to Ripley County Commissioners toward the purchase of three stainless steel dump bodies for three new highway department dump trucks;
• $30,000 to Tyson Community Advancement Foundation toward a local match for a state grant to renovate the historic Tyson Auditorium façade;
• $20,000 to Holton Community Water Corp. toward the purchase of a new computer monitoring system and upgrades to its water tower altitude pit;
• $15,000 to Sunman Area Voluntary Endeavors to assist with roof decking failure issues;
• $2,500 to the Ripley County Tourism Bureau toward 2014 Friendship Music Festival expenses.
One grant will help check the health of southeastern Indiana student-athletes. An organization called Giving Hearts a Hand will use $2,000 toward cardiac screenings.
The rest of the grants will go to entities closer to Rising Sun, where the dollars for the awards originate:
• $30,000 to the Rising Sun-Ohio County Community School Corp. toward the purchase of devices, carts and covers related to its 1:1 technology project;
• $25,000 to the city of Aurora toward the purchase of a Kubota tractor and trailer to assist with parks department grounds maintenance;
• $20,000 to the city of Rising Sun toward a signage and banner program;
• $15,000 to Rising Sun & Ohio County Senior Citizens Housing toward the purchase of property to aid in the future growth of Rising Sun senior housing;
• $15,000 to the Ohio County Circuit Court toward the purchase of hardware and software programs and equipment to provide audiovisual court hearings;