The document is unsigned, so the mapmaker remains a mystery.
Because of its age, the map was delicate and unreadable. “When we came across it again, we knew something had to be done with it.” The developer tried to find paper conservators to restore it. “Given its condition, we were not able to find anyone within the Greater Cincinnati or Indianapolis area.” Batesville resident Gloria Paras mentioned her daughter was an art conservator in Chicago. Rippe drove it there last August. One of the conservator’s friends specialized in paper artifacts. When the map returned here in early April, he noticed “they had removed all the varnish … coats and coats that had turned yellow and made it virtually impossible to see what was on here.”
As Rippe imagines what the city used to be like over a century ago, he remains fascinated. Struewing told him, “There are some drawings on the map of key buildings that had previously been undocumented.” The developer notes, “This predates St. Louis.” A Catholic church was designated, but not named. There are drawings of a post office, warehouse, Boehringer dance hall and hair factory (the hair may have become wigs or mattresses).
After Teunis and Nancy Amack purchased 120 acres from the U.S. government Feb. 20, 1836, they built a log cabin for their eight children on Lot 1 across from the Big Four. C. Rapp’s Flour Mill is now the site of RomWeber Marketplace’s reception area. A free school morphed into the food pantry on Sycamore Street. A Romweber home was constructed on lots 81-82 facing the Big Four railroad tracks (now Pearl Street). A brewery operated at the northeast corner of Park and Pearl.
The map also shows a Hartman sawmill, brickyard of H. Boehringer’s and Co. and drugstore on George Street, but not where the former Nolte’s Pharmacy was. A logyard and stables were located on Boehringer Street. Houses on some lots were marked Dr. Parson, F. Dickman and Jac. Blank.